Sunday, March 22, 2009

I saw a new one...

Today, while spear fishing (more on that below), we saw a hammerhead shark. It was about 7 feet long and moving away from us. I am not sure how aggressive a shark they are but I think that is the kind of shark that attacked a surfer on the northern point of the peninsula. I don't think he even looked in our direction but I wasn't going to hang out to find out if he was friendly. I swam for the boat while trying to keep an eye on him; making sure he didn't circle around back toward us. It was a bit alarming, but like I said, he didn't seem interested in us.

I took out my "new to me" spear gun today. It was acquired on Ebay.com from a person on the other side of Australia, NSW to be exact. It is a bit used and needed a new rubber band and some TLC, but it fires. I wanted to break it in with a good-tasting fish but came up short. I shot an Estuary Cod in the head but he managed to shake off the spear and hide. I guess I will have to get him next time.

1 comment:

  1. I would have crapped my swim shorts if I saw a Hammer Head shark

    ReplyDelete